Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Blogs and the establishment press


The frustration journalists feel with blogosphere is very understandable. On the one hand readers/listeners/viewers complain of bias, that they want objective reporting and resent what they consider “trying to tell us what to think”. On the other hand readers say they like blogs because of the conversational tone and personal voice. This must be infuriating for reporters and editors alike.

I think this has to do with the imbalance of power. Readers identify with bloggers as someone like themselves. News organizations by contrast are seen as giant, powerful institutions accountable to no one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I agree that power is at the heart of these debates Alice! I have been reading my Foucault and boy do I have a lot of posts brewing!

Elizabeth Albrycht